Sunday, September 5, 2010

Low Maintenance

For when you're lazy and don't have groceries.
 
SPAN-A-KO-BREAD-A


Yes, I was out of food. Yes, I resorted to the freezer. Yes, I resisted Taco Tuesday. But I ate like a (poor) queen.

This is how:

THE GOODS

1 slice of bread (you all have it - let's say $0)
Frozen Spinach ($.99 - I was on my last lil bit)
Cheddar cheese ($2.00 - parmesan would be delish too!)
Red onion ($.05 - I got a bag of 20 baby red onions in Chinatown for $1)

Grand Total: $3.04 or less (if you have cheese lying around)

THE WAY

Spray fry pan with Pam and place on medium heat. Toss in a handful of spinach--depending on your hunger level. Sautee for 5-10 minutes, or until spinach is hot a.k.a. no longer a frozen terd. In the meantime, toast your bread lightly and slice the red onion thinly. When the spinach is done, pile it on top. Slice some cheddar cheese and layer that on top of the spinach, topping off with red onion. Broil for 3 minutes or so. (I use the toaster oven. Anything to reduce the gas bill!)

Bon appetit.

No comments:

Post a Comment