Friday, September 3, 2010

Girl Meets Grill

Inspired by a really awesome dish I order at Terroni in Los Angeles, I created my own version. But first, I cozied up to George (Forman).

GRILLED SHITAKE MUSHROOMS WITH ARUGULA AND PARMESAN



THE GOODS

Shitake mushrooms ($1.50 - I bought a basket of the ugly ones for cheap at the Farmer's Market - THE UGLY ONES NEED LOVE TOO!)
Arugula ($1.00 at Farmer's Market)
Parmesan ($2.99 for a tub of freshly shaved Romano, Pecorino, Parmesan at Trader Joe's)
Balsamic Vinegar/Olive Oil (I used my friend's truffle oil that she got as a party favor at a work function... ah, the for-profit world....)
Salt/Pepper

The Grand Total: $5.49 or less (e.g. if you have parmesan)

THE WAY

Wash your mushrooms by using a damp paper towel to wipe off any dirt. You don't want to decapitate them (or else).

Spray your grill--or George Forman in my case--with Pam. Heat it up. If you don't have a grill, this would still be delicious on the fry pan.

Toss on your mushrooms. I used about 10. Season with salt and pepper and let them grill for about 10 mins. or until they look delectable.

Heap the cooked mushrooms on top of a mound of arugula. Top off with parmesan and drizzle with balsamic and oil. Shroomy.

1 comment: