Thursday, September 2, 2010

Cream Me

Ever wonder what to do with that package of frozen spinach sitting in the back of your freezer? (I know you hear it crying for your loving attentions!) Wonder no longer, reader.....

I based this recipe off a recipe on Foodnetwork.com for Creamed Kale with Caramelized Shallots, but since my wallet screamed "No, no, no!" to the kale and shallots and "Yes, yes, yes!" to creamy goodness, I went with frozen spinach ($1.99 for a huge bag) and baby red onions ($1.31 for a bag of 20 in Chinatown. Gosh I love that place.) Tonight I present you with:

CREAMED SPINACH WITH CARAMELIZED RED ONIONS


THE GOODS

For Spinach

Frozen Spinach (Used about half the bag, which I bought for $1.99)
Unsalted butter ($1.99 for 2 sticks if you have to buy it)
White onion ($0.40)
Flour (Not sure, I had it on stock)
Milk (I used 1% low fat, but the fattier the tastier, usually about $1.49 per 1/2 gallon)
Salt and pepper

For Onions

Baby red onions, duh (Bag of 20 for $1.31)
Sugar (I hope you have some. If not, borrow from your neighbor.)

The Grand Total: About $7.18 if you have to buy all that stuff, but I bet you have some of it!

THE WAY

Spinach

Chop up 3 tablespoons of the white onion. Heat a tablespoon of unsalted butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until soft. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, not letting it get brown. Whisk in 3 cups of warm milk and cook until thickened. Season with salt and pepper (the Foodnetwork recipe also recommends nutmeg, which would be delicious, but I didn't want to invest in it). Keep warm until ready to use.
Meanwhile, spray a medium sized saute pan with Pam. Add 1/2 the package of frozen spinach and saute for 10-15 minutes until hot (and lacking all traces of freezer burn). Add cream sauce and cook until flavors get happy together, about 2 minutes. Add salt and pepper. 

Onions

Melt the 3 tablespoons of butter and 1 tablespoon of sugar in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add about 10 baby red onions, season with salt and pepper, and cook until they begin to brown all over, about 10 minutes. Eat 'em on your spinach, your sandwiches, your salads, your honeymoon. Ah.

The Grand Finale

Put spinach on your plate, top with caramelized onions and make Popeye proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment