Thursday, October 14, 2010

Spice Up Your Lunch Break

Sometimes I get sick of the same old sandwiches, which is why I decided to go for the dive and try something different. This week, instead of buying my typical feta and cheddar cheeses, I ventured out of my comfort zone and into some gruyere. The result? A spinach, carmelized onion, and gruyere sandwich with dijon mustard. Let's just say I was very happy when noon rolled around.


GRUYERE, CARAMELIZED ONION, CUCUMBER AND SPINACH SANDWICH
 

THE GOODS

Spinach ($1.99)
Dijon mustard ($2.39)
Gruyere cheese ($3.49) - would be good with other types too
Cucumber ($0.50)
Red Onion ($0.40)
Bread
Balsamic Vinegar

The Grand Total: $8.77

THE WAY

Carmelize your onions (find out how here). Toast your bread. Spread on some dijon mustard, layer on slices of cheese, cucumber, and spinach. Wrap that baby up with tinfoil and stick it in your briefcase/purse/backpack.

No comments:

Post a Comment