Friday, October 22, 2010

Creamy Comfort

My latest foray into Trader Joe's had me walking out with a giant butternut squash in hand. Now what? Well, there's always the option of making lovely and delightful fall decorations, but my stomach wanted it more than my centerpiece. So the only logical thing to do was to make risotto. And as I reflect upon this experience, all I can say is this: I did it once, and I'd do it again.
 
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RISOTTO
*I used this recipe from simplyrecipes.com and came up with this masterpiece, which I have been eating  as (warm lunch) leftovers throughout the week.

 

THE GOODS


6-8 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth for vegetarians (I use chicken buillon, for mere pennies)
4 tbsp unsalted butter ($3.29)
1 small onion, finely chopped ($0.40)
Butternut squash, peeled, and finely diced ($1.59)
2 cups arborio rice--can substitute medium grained white rice, but arborio is preferred ($2.29)
1 cup dry white wine (I used Charles Shaw for $1.99)
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese ($2.69)
Sage (optional: this is what I used because I had some, but the recipe I referred to recommends chives)
Salt

The Grand Total: $12.25 for at least 6 servings, depending on how big your butternut squash is (the recipe feeds 4-6 and calls for 2 cups of squash, I had at least twice that). That's $2.04 per serving.

THE WAY 

Heat broth in medium sized saucepan and keep warm over low heat. Melt 3 Tbsp of butter in a large saucepan; add onion and butternut squash. Cook over medium heat until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes.

Add rice to onion and squash. Cook 1-2 minutes. Add wine. Cook, stirring constantly until rice absorbs wine. Add a few ladles of broth, just enough to barely cover rice. Cook over medium heat until broth has been absorbed. Continue cooking and stirring rice, adding a little bit of broth at a time, cooking and stirring until it is absorbed, until the rice is tender, but still firm to the bite, about 15 to 20 minutes.


During the last minutes of cooking, add remaining tablespoon of butter, 1/3 cup Parmesan, and sage. At this point the rice should have a creamy consistency. Add salt to taste. Serve with remaining grated Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment