Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cold and Hungary?

It was one of those nights when I got home from work late. By the time I arrived at my front gate, the chill and fog had found their way into my bones. It was time for an intervention: the kind that only a big bear hug or a cup of hot soup can provide. I am proud to say I was successful on at least one of those fronts.

RICH AND CREAMY* HUNGARIAN MUSHROOM SOUP
*BUT HEALTHY!

I copied this recipe from Allrecipes.com because all the commenters were just raving about it. After I made it, I realized why. However, I made some slight modifications to their recipe to reduce the monetary and caloric commitment: I replaced dried dill weed with just dill (dried dill weed costs about $8, while regular old dried dill costs $1.49) I used a bag of dried mushrooms instead of fresh (it was what I had on hand), I did not use parsley or sour cream, and I reduced the amount of butter from 4 tablespoons to 2.5 tablespoons. It made a great cheap and easy dinner, with leftovers. My only critique is that next time I'd make more!

THE GOODS

2.5 tablespoons unsalted butter  ($1.49 or less for 2 sticks)
2 cups chopped onions ($0.40)
1 bag of dried mushrooms, or 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced ($1.99)
2 teaspoons dried dill ($1.49)
1 tablespoon paprika ($1.29)
1 tablespoon soy sauce ($1.49)
2 cups chicken broth ($1.99)
1 cup milk ($1.49)
2 teaspoons lemon juice - from 1 lemon ($0.29)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
ground black pepper to taste

The Grand Total: $11.92, and it will last me for at least 2 meals
The Time Commitment: about 50 minutes--15 to prep, 35 minutes to cook

THE WAY 

First, if you're using dried mushrooms, you have to prepare them. Boil some water. In the meantime, rinse the mushrooms with warm water. Then pour the boiling water over them and let them soak for 10-15 minutes. Drain them.

Chop the onions. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Saute the onions in the butter for 5 minutes. 
Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 more minutes. Stir in the dill, paprika, soy sauce and broth. 
Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes. 





In a separate small bowl, whisk the milk and flour together. Pour this into the soup and stir well to blend. Cover and simmer for 15 more minutes, stirring occasionally. 




Finally, stir in the salt, ground black pepper, lemon juice, parsley and sour cream. Mix together and allow to heat through over low heat, about 3 to 5 minutes. Do not boil. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment