Wednesday, August 18, 2010

All Thai-ed Up

Living in such close proximity to Chinatown has got me on an Asian binge. Hence:


Grand Total: $13.01 for my dinner and lunch the next day, with half a box of spaghetti left for a rainy day.... (and even less if you have these things lying around like I did!)


THE GOODS

1 pack whole wheat spaghetti (I used half and had enough leftovers for a big lunch today)
$1.99 1 pack frozen stir fry veggies
$2.29 Canola spray (I used what I had, but it would be better to use peanut oil)
$0.20 Lime
$0.00 Pack of peanuts stashed from Southwest flight
$1.31 Bean sprouts (I used the ones leftover from my mushu extravaganza)
$1.49 Soy sauce (Leftover)
$0.25 Scallion (Again, leftovers)
$2.00 Red pepper flakes
$1.99 Peanut Butter
$1.49 Rice wine vinegar

I opted out of the brown sugar and used normal sugar that I had on hand for $ reasons.
I used the ginger that I had leftover, but I don't think it's a necessity.

THE WAY

Cook the pasta in a large pot of water according to the directions on the package (I used half the package). Drain and rinse with cold water. Toast the peanuts in a dry pan over a medium heat until they become fragrant, about 3 minutes. Set them aside to cool.

While the pasta is cooking, spray the pan you used for the peanuts with Pam and bring it to medium heat (less cleanup is clutch). Add the frozen veggies and stir occasionally as they brown.

Make the sauce by pureeing the 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup water, 2 tbsp. vinegar, juice of half a lime, a couple scallions, a bit of ginger, 2 tbsp. sugar and a dash of red pepper flakes in a food processor or blender until smooth.

Right before serving, toss the veggies into the pasta and pour on that sauce, baby. Chop up the peanuts, throw em in, and there you have it.

Squeeze extra lime on your leftovers the day after. I hope you're as tongue thai-ed as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment