Thursday, December 9, 2010

We Got the Beet

Ever since my boss had to leave work in the middle of the day because she realized she left her beets roasting in the over (this happened 2-3 weeks ago), I have had an uncontrollable craving for beets. (Don't worry, her house and her beets survived this traumatic experience thanks to her babysitter's savvy.)

Naturally, when I saw a bunch of beets eyeing me from across the table at Sunday's farmer's market, I knew what I had to do. Soon enough, the beets were bumbing along in my backpack, then back resting in my vegetable drawer.

I didn't know what to do with them. I went on automatic. I roasted them. With a little olive oil and a little rosemary, the results made me a very happy customer. And when I sliced the final product and tossed them into a spinach salad with gorgonzola and candied walnuts (not pictured here, because my appetite has made it extinct), I was even happier.


ROSEMARY ROASTED BEETS


THE GOODS

Roasted Beets: 
Bunch of beets ($2)
About 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
Optional: about 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary (free, from my mom's garden)

The Grand Total: $2

If you want to add spinach, gorgonzola, and candied walnuts to your list of ingredients too, be my guest!

THE WAY


Preheat the over to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Cut of the beet greens if they're attached to the beets. You can use them for another recipe, or even substitute them in a recipe that calls for chard.

Wash the beets, dry them, and put them on an oven safe pan or a large piece of aluminum foil. Drizzle the beets with oil: you can use as much or as little as you like. Fold the foil over the pan and crimp the sides closed. Roast them for 25-45 minutes, depending on the size of the beets.

Let them cool until you can handle them, then use your fingers or a paring knife to gently slide the skin off the beets.

Serve peeled roasted beets with a sprinkle of salt or slice and put them in a salad with creamy cheese like gorgonzola or goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment