Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A Spanish Staple

When I studied abroad in Spain, one of the staples in my pantry was the little muffins known as "magdalenas." Similar to French madeleines, magdalenas are sweet little light muffin bites, eaten often with cafe con leche for breakfast or as a snack after siesta. I found this recipe for them on this French blog, and used the translator on the side to make them for

MAGDALENAS 



THE GOODS 

2 3/4 cups flour ($1.99)
1 1/4 cup sugar ($1.99)
1 cup vegetable oil ($3.29)
1 teaspoon baking powder ($1.39)
1/2 cup whipping cream ($2.79)
Zest of 1 lemon ($0.20)
4 eggs ($0.12 per egg, $0.48)
Pam/vegetable oil spray
Optional: about 1 tablespoon of orange juice

The Grand Total: $12.13

THE WAY

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a bowl or using your food processor (I used my blender), whisk the eggs and sugar until they turn whitish. Add the lemon zest or flavor chosen (I also added a little bit of orange juice), cream and oil. Mix well.

Fold in the sifted flour and baking powder. Mix until dough is smooth.

Spray your muffin tins with Pam. Pour batter into trays or muffin tins (fill to 3 / 4 molds).

Bake for 15 minutes watching the crust does not brown too much. 

1 comment:

  1. hi, thank's a lot for trying my recipe, you're so nice. :-)))

    ReplyDelete